The Mobile Apps Committee which consists of students, faculty, and staff across the University have been working on a Phase II app development for Pace. The newly named MyPace Mobile app is now available in App Store, Android Market, and Blackberry App World. This newly revamped app offers more tools and features such as:
- Courses – Allows students to view names and locations of classes they are currently enrolled in from Banner, in addition to class rosters, announcement, assignments, and discussion boards, etc. that is pulled from Blackboard. (Note: The Blackboard Mobile Learn app is still available separately for more Blackboard specific needs.)
- Directory – Allows users to access campus directory which is similar to the University Whitepages (http://whitepages.pace.edu).
- Key Contacts – Provides key University emergency and special department contacts.
- Pace Events – Links to RSS feeds from events.pace.edu (All Eventsand Featured Eventsfeeds) populated by Special Events.
- Student Events – Displays events targeted for students that are populated by SDCA, Athletics, and Academic Scheduling.
- Athletics – Links to Athletics’ mobile site for news, events, and additional facilities information.
- Images – Links to Pace’s Flickr account website.
- Maps – Google Maps integration for campus map and directions from current location.
- News – Links to RSS feed with current University news from Pace Pulse.
- Videos – Links to RSS feed of videos from University YouTube account.
- Bus Schedule – Links to m.pace.edu bus schedule page.
- Locate Classes – Links to m.pace.edu room assignment page (This module will only be available at the beginning of the semester.)
- Final Exams – Links to m.pace.edu final exam page (This module will only be available for finals toward the end of the semester.)
- Survey - Links to m.pace.edu survey page where the OSA and Bus surveys are housed.
- Notifications – Pulls the RSS feed from alerts.pace.edu for emergency announcements.
NOTE: If you have downloaded the previous app "PaceMobile", please delete the app and download the new version "MyPace Mobile".
For more details on the app’s features and instructions on downloading, click on the following link: MyPace Mobile.
Enter for a chance to win a FREE iPad Mini!
Just Like our Pace ITS Facebook page by Wednesday, February 13th (facebook.com/PaceITS). A random winner will be selected and announced on our Pace ITS Facebook page on Tuesday, February 19th. (NOTE: Only current Pace University students are eligible to win.) The goal of the PaceITS Facebook Page is to share interesting and relevant online articles and other technology-related information with the Pace community. ITS will use this forum to periodically post articles as it relates to technology in either the consumer market or higher education. All you need to do is Likeour page to have convenient access to this information!
Digital Signage for PLV
New digital signage displays have been installed on the Pleasantville Campus at Kessel Student Center and Goldstein Fitness Center! Advertising an event for your club or organization is easy! Just send an e-mail to email@example.com attach an image to be displayed. (NOTE: Images should be 8.5x11” JPEG or PDF format. Large font sizes (28+) and high resolution images are recommended. Additionally, file size cannot exceed 10MB.)
Mahara User Group (MUG)
The Mahara User Group (MUG) will meet virtually on Thursday, January 31stat 3:00PM (EST). The participation link will be distributed through e-mail and through the MUG Facebook group. E-mail Sam Egan at firstname.lastname@example.org be placed on the mailing list. To catch up on Mahara news beforehand, check out the Mahara Newsletter, where Sam and Michelle Birch’s articles are featured!
The iPad meeting schedule for Spring 2013 will be as follows:
- Monday, February 25th: 12:20PM-1:15PM
- Wednesday, March 20th: 12:20PM-1:15PM
- Monday, April 15th: 12:20PM-1:15PM
- Wednesday, May 1st: 11:15AM-12:10PM
* All meetings will be held in Miller 16 (PLV) and Civic E319 (NY).You can view the minutes from each meeting on the iPad blog.
Java 7 Alert - Java 7 Vulnerability
In October 2012, there was vulnerability that was discovered affecting Java 7 (1.7.0 Update 6). The vulnerability allows malicious code to be run on a system. This can occur by visiting a maliciously crafted web page using a web browser that has the Java plug-in enabled. Oracle had released an official patch that was to resolve that vulnerability issue. However an article, published on Friday indicates that the vulnerability has not been resolved. To view the article found on CNN Tech, click the following link: Critical Java vulnerability due to incomplete earlier patch.
At this time, Pace DOES NOT recommend using Java 7 since it is not yet supported by our system vendors for applications such as Kronos and Banner. Pace is currently supporting Java 6 Update 38 for use with Pace systems. Using other versions at this time will cause compatibility issues and/or security issues.
For more information on this update and how to get Java 6 Update 38, visit the following link: Java 7 Alert.
Pace Employee Discount Programs
FiOS Discounts: Verizon has a new program, Verizon Connections Program, for a great deal on eligible FiOS services. Pace employees can now enroll online to save on their existing Verizon qualifying service bundles or order a new service bundle.
Cell Phone Discounts: Pace employees can save up to 19% on monthly access fees through Verizon, and up 20% through AT&T on eligible devices.
For more information on both discount opportunities, click on the following link: Pace Employee Discounts.
140 William St. Wireless Pilot
Over the course of the next few months, ITS will be testing and implementing new wireless technology. 140 William St. on the NY campus is the location of the pilot. If you are connecting to wireless in that building see the network information below:
- Pace_Connect will now be called PACE-OPEN
- Pace_Secure will now be called PACE-WIRELESS
For additional updates and information for this pilot, please visit the following site: Configuring Wireless.
Dyson Course Evaluations
The winter intersession is coming to a close and course evaluations must be completed! Course evaluation is critical in providing constructive feedback to faculty and their departments on the quality of instruction delivered at Pace. Dyson College is urging students taking Dyson courses to participate. To begin the evaluation, refer to the following link: https://www.digitalmeasures.com/login/pace/student. Log in using your MyPace Portal Username and Password. It is important that you complete all of your Dyson College Course evaluations by Thursday January 24thto avoid the Dyson College grade delay. For more details on the Dyson Course Evaluation process, please refer to the following link: Important Course Evaluation Information.