New York English Department Ashbery, Cannon, Owens, Willis, Gill, and Rose Creative Writing, Literary and Film Criticism, and Journalism Awards (Spring 2014)
$5000 in awards from the Gerard Cannon, Billie and Curtis Owens, James Rose, Sarah Willis & Richard Gill funds will be given in Fiction, Poetry, Creative Nonfiction, Screenwriting, Literary or Film Criticism & Journalism. The David A. Bickimer-Promise of Learnings / Academy of American Poets Prize, established by John Ashbery, will also be awarded in the Poetry category.
You must be a NYC undergraduate English or Film and Screen Studies (FSS) major or minor, or an undergraduate student in any major who has taken (or is taking) a Pace NYC ENG 223 or a 300-level ENG or LIT course or any FSS course. Also you must be enrolled during the current academic-year, either in Fall 2013 or Spring 2014, or both.
Monday, April 7, 2014, by Midnight / email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send one email and attach a separate .doc file in that email for each category you enter.
Resend your email if you do not get an automatic receipt confirmation.
- You may submit entries in multiple categories:
- Fiction: 30 double-spaced pages maximum, but no more than 3 pieces, i.e., short stories or part of a novel
- Poetry: 10 pages maximum, but no more than 5 poems
- Creative nonficton: 30 double-spaced pages maximum, but no more than 3 pieces, i.e., personal essays, memoirs, biography, food or travel writing
- Screenwriting: 10-30 pages maximum in screenplay format and a 1-page (double-spaced) story outline
- Literary or film criticism: 30 double-spaced pages maximum, but no more than 3 pieces, i.e., critical essays or reviews
- Journalism: 25 double-spaced pages maximum, but no more than 3 pieces, i.e., news or feature writing
A submission exceeding the maximum page count for a category will not be considered.
- Submit one cover page for each category you enter.
- Cover Page for each category consists of the following
- The heading "English Department Writing Awards"
- Name of appropriate category (i.e., Fiction)
- Your name; 9-digit student ID or U#; English department major or minor, or your major; and the course #, semester, and year of a 300-level ENG or LIT course or any FSS course you've taken
- Email address, phone number(s), local mailing address
- The title(s) of the prose pieces or poems in this category
- Do not put your name on any other page
- Text must be double-spaced, except for poetry.
- All writing must be carefully edited and proofread.
- Do not include page numbers on any pages
- Must be emailed to email@example.com by Midnight Monday, April 7
QUESTIONS? Writing Awards Director, Professor Eugene Richie: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Guidelines also available in Rm. 1512 (FL15) 41 Park Row; on our Creative Writing Program Facebook page (Search “Pace NYC Creative Writing”); OR on our PaceNYEnglish blog at http://pacenyenglish.blogspot.com