Frequently Asked Questions and Solutions to Common Problems

Chances are that if you have any questions or concerns you would like to address in your first year at Pace, other students have brought those same questions and concerns to us before.  We have collected some of our students’ most common questions – and Pace University’s answers to them in our “Frequently Asked Questions” section. Exploring this page may allow you to get the answers you need, or at least help you refine your questions before you ever need to speak to a Pace staff or faculty member.

Q: I have questions about my schedule that I received at orientation. Who should I talk to about it? 
A: Contact the Office of The First Year Experience and ask to speak with either Michael Verdino or Carolyn Endick at 212-346-1386.

Q: At orientation, I was told I would have access to My Pace Portal, but I don’t remember the web address. What is it again? 

Q: I found the My Pace Portal site, but I can’t get in. What is my ID and password? 
A: Your Pace ID is the beginning part of your Pace e-mail and was given to you at Orientation. Your e-mail is composed of your initials, a random set of numbers, and the initial of the campus you’ll be attending. Your initial password is your 2 (lower case) initials, a dash, then, your six digit birthday in this format: MMDDYY. John Doe’s password would look like this if he was born on January 1, 1995: jd-010195. Once you enter this password, you will be prompted to choose a new one. Do so, and write it down!

Q: When I log on to My Pace Portal and try to change my schedule, the system tells me I can’t because I have a hold. How can I change my schedule? 
A: All first-year students have a hold on their account preventing them from changing their schedules. The hold is there to keep students from adjusting their schedule incorrectly without speaking to an advisor first! If you have questions about your schedule, please contact the Office of the First-Year Experience.

Q: Where do I get more information about on-campus housing?  
A: Please call the Office of Residence Life for the campus at 212- 346-1295 or visit their website here. Their office is located on 106 Fulton street on the 2nd floor.

Q: Who is my academic advisor? 
A: During your first semester, your UNV 101 Professor will serve as your main academic advisor, since you’ll be seeing them once a week in class. Besides your UNV Professor, you will also be supported by your school/college advisor and the Office of The First-Year Experience.

Q: Should I buy books prior to coming to campus? 
A: We suggest that you wait until you attend the first class. Oftentimes, Professors make amendments to their syllabi and change the books that are required for their classes. So, if you buy a book too soon, you may end up with an unnecessary textbook. Wait for the first week of classes so that you know for sure what books are required.

Q: I have questions about my tuition bill, how to pay it or financial holds on my account. Who should I contact?
A: Call the Office of Student Assistance (OSA) at 877-672-1830. Or check out the OSA website here.

Q: I have Financial Aid questions, such as scholarships, grants, loans and tuition waivers. What’s their number again? 
A: Financial Aid can be reached at 212-346-1300.

Q: What last minute things do I need to do before I get to school in September? 
A: Make sure that your high school has sent your final transcripts (the one that proves you graduated from high school) to Pace. Also, send in any AP scores and official college transcripts for credits earned through College Now, dual enrollment, International Baccalaureate, etc. and any other certifications of achievement (like the SAT II in a second language). Lastly, make sure to check that Pace has received proof of your immunization against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR).

Q: What if I’m not sure if Pace will accept certain college credits or my AP test score?
A: Please contact the Office of Admissions at (212) 346-1323 for further clarification.

Q: I was accepted into the Challenge to Achievement at Pace program and I would like more information. Who should I contact? 
A: You can contact the CAP Program at (212) 346-1997.

Q: I don’t have a major yet, and I’m worried that I won’t be able to graduate on time. Should I be concerned? 
A: In most cases, no. Almost half of your education at Pace is made up of University Core classes. However, we recommend that you try and select a major by the end of your sophomore year to stay on track. *There are, however, a few exceptions: biology, chemistry, certified public accounting, the BFA in theater, education, and a few other majors rely on very specific sequences of classes, and therefore allow for less flexibility than other majors at Pace.

Q: I am interested in joining the Honors College. How do I apply? 
A: Students not initially invited to join Pace’s Honors College may apply to the Honors Program after attending Pace for one year (two semesters). Your advisor can give you information how to apply as you wrap up your first-year at Pace.

Q: What’s a good way to start meeting people on campus? 
A: The best way is to get involved on campus. You can start by contacting Student Life at 212-346-1590 or walking up to the 8th floor of 41 Park Row and looking at the clubs and activities that are offered. Furthermore, during the first week of classes there will be loads of events going on for Welcome Week; be sure to stick around and participate in them!

Q: I need extra help with my course work. Who should I turn to?
A: Visit the Tutoring Center at 41 Park Row, Floor 2. FREE Peer Tutoring is offered six days a week in dozens of different courses. Call 212-346-1329 for more information on the Tutoring Center and their office hours.

Q: I'm having trouble writing my essays/papers. Where should I go?
A: Check out the Writing Center, located on the 2nd floor of the Birnbaum Library. They will help you at any stage: brainstorming, writing a strong thesis statement, developing an arugement, citing sources correctly, etc. They can be contacted at 212-346-1085.

Q: I have or think I might have a learning disability, where do I go to get further assistance?
A: Contact the Counseling Center as soon as possible. They can assure you receive the kinds of accomodations you require, and refer you for a review if you think you may have an as-yet undiangosed learning disability. They also provide confidential, professional and free psychological counseling services. Please calll 212-46-1526 for more information or to schedule an appointment

Q: I have a question, but I don’t know the right person to contact. Where should I start? 
A: For all inquiries, you can always start with the Office of The First-Year Experience. Please don’t hesitate to call for any sort of assistance!