Job & Internship Fairs
Don't miss our annual Job Fairs held on both the New York City campus and Pleasantville campus drawing over 150 employers and 1200 attendees each year! Representatives from a variety of industries visit the campuses to recruit employees and provide career information.
Tips on Working a Career Fair
BEFORE THE EVENT
- Update your resume and make lots of copies. Be sure to have enough to last throughout the day; obtain a notebook or portfolio to write your notes in and put business cards
- Plan a strategy! Get the list of participating employers. Research the organizations and decide which ones interest you ahead of time. You'll want to use your time effectively.
- Dress professionally. Select your business attire or business casual, but dress for success!
- Practice your one-minute personal introduction! Get ready to introduce yourself to lots of employers. Plan what you want to say about yourself briefly and practice a few basic questions you want to ask them.
AT THE EVENT
- Approach employers with confidence! Break the ice with some employers who are of less interest to you. Now is not the time to be shy. Take the initiative and introduce yourself. Shake the recruiters hand, establish eye contact and smile! State your "one-minute introduction" and ask them about the career opportunities they are offering. This is your chance to get valuable information about their organization. Pick up literature and collect business cards.
- Allow plenty of time! Don't be in a hurry. You may have to wait to speak with many employers.
- Be polite and wait for other students to finish talking before you begin introducing yourself. Don't monopolize the recruiter's time; other students are waiting to speak with them.
- Ask what the next step in the process is what you should do.
- Make notes after speaking with representatives so you can refer to them in later communications.
AFTER THE EVENT
- Send a follow-up letter within a week of the event. This should be a formal, typed business letter reminding the recruiter that you met at the fair and thanking them for the opportunity to discuss their organization with you. Include another copy of your resume.